From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nepomuk gone, baloo enters
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 01:03:18
1 On Friday, August 21, 2015 6:27:36 PM Dale wrote:
2 > Francisco Ares wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > In fact, I can only suppose there's something related to changing from
6 > > nepomuk to baloo:
7 > >
8 > > Now, every time I log in, a window pops up asking for root password.
9 > > The window title is "PolicyKit - KDE" and pressing the button
10 > > "Details", it shows:
11 > >
12 > > Action: Folder Watch Limit
13 > > polkit.subject-pid: 5254
14 > > polkit.caller-pid: 6699
15 > >
16 > > Looking for those PIDs:
17 > >
18 > > ~ $ ps -A | grep 5254
19 > > 5254 ? 00:00:07 baloo_file
20 > >
21 > > and PID 6699 doesn't show up any more, probably the process has
22 > > already ended.
23 > >
24 > > Did I miss something? How do I set up Baloo? Looking on the net, I
25 > > only found how to set up a file ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc
26 > > (that was nonexistent, which seemed strange), is there something else
27 > > regarding the database it might be willing to use?
28 > >
29 > > Thank you all.
30 > > Francisco
34 > Reading your posts, it seems you don't really want this "feature" of
35 > KDE. Why not disable the thing? I have this in make.conf:
36 >
37 > -nepomuk -semantic-desktop
38 >
39 > So far, that has disabled the whole desktop search thingy, that I also
40 > found to be a pest and never needed.
41 >
42 > Just a thought, in case you wasn't aware.
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
47
48 Do you use kmail? I disabled nepomuk at one point and I wasn't able to access
49 my contacts on kmail. I think it's the same with baloo. And from what I've
50 read the plan is for more applications to use it so you may miss important
51 features. They recommend just disabling file indexing or adding your home
52 directory to the exclusion list on system settings, But after doing that I
53 still got that popup a few times until I okay'd it.
56 Fernando Rodriguez