From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How often do you reboot?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:47:52
1 On 2017-01-30, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 30/01/2017 23:46, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> I've got a couple Gentoo machines that normally run 24/7. I've
4 >> learned over the years that it's a good idea to reboot them
5 >> occasionally (when I have some spare time and I know they're idle)
6 >> just to make they still can.
7 >>
8 >> I've settled on roughly once a month or so.
9
10 > I'll wager the majority of experienced folks here do much the same as
11 > you, I know I do on my own boxes.
12
13 I also remember times when I've done something so that the X11 desktop
14 will continue to run fine indefinitely, but if you shut down X11 and
15 try to restart it, you're SOL. And it's been so long that you've
16 completely forgotten about that notification at the end of an "emerge
17 -auvND" that warned you this might happen...
20 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! In 1962, you could buy
21 at a pair of SHARKSKIN SLACKS,
22 gmail.com with a "Continental Belt,"
23 for $10.99!!