From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade question: is it adviseable?
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 15:51:33
1 On Wednesday 03 June 2009 17:43:56 James Homuth wrote:
2 > I noticed yesterday gentoo-sources-2.6.29 was released, and was wondering
3 > if it's required that the kernel be upgraded
4
5 no
6
7 > (I'm currently running 2.6.28.
8
9 nothing wrong with that
10
11 > I did download the sources (Should I have done that?),
12
13 yes, it doesn't hurt. Not required, but good to have
14
15 > but in the event
16 > it's not mandatory or anything to upgrade the kernel I'd really like to not
17 > have to recompile the thing.
18
19 so don't.
20
21 You only *have* to upgrade the kernel if you want some feature the current one
22 in use does not support
23
24 > Related, however, if I do recompile it and
25 > decide to do so with genkernel,
26
27 Yuck. I tell people to stay away from that thing.
28
29 Just learn how to do it yourself. It's not hard, you get only what you want,
30 and there are thousands of howtos all over the net
31
32 > will it respect the settings I've compiled
33 > into 2.6.28 or will they need to be reset again before 2.6.29 is compiled?
34
35 No. Not unless you give it the old config to use. IIRC it has some feature to
36 use the config for the currently running kernel (/proc/config.gz) if the
37 running kernel supports it. But I could be may off course here too.
38
39 > thanks for any information on the subject.
40
41 You'll get MUCH better answers by reading the kernel compile guide in the docs
42 section of gentoo.org. Your post implies that you have not read it, as all
43 your questions are answered in it. Knowledgeable folks here will give you the
44 same answers, so just read the doc instead...
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com