From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc and crossdev, anyone?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:45:44
1 On 17/12/2010, at 10:56pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > ... an Atom N270 box ... server, but it's a bit slow compared with the other boxes on the
3 > network. A big bit, actually - 69 minutes to compile a kernel compared
4 > with less than 9 minutes on this workstation.
5
6 9 minutes!?!? I'm flabbergasted. The machines I have around here, I consider 1 hour to compile a kernel pretty good. Actually I'm in the process of migrating to newer hardware, but I haven't tested kernel compilation times.
7
8 Nevertheless: it's a server. Open a `tmux` session, start it compiling, go watch a movie.
9
10 Stroller.