From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox key shortcut buglet
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:39:42
1 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > Alt-Control-R should switch between normal rendering and Reader mode.
3 > All the documentation available including the "tooltip" that pops up
4 > when I hover my mouse over the Reader icon agrees.
5 >
6 > And yet, in the File menu, there is an item "Restart (Developer)" with
7 > the same shortcut. And when I in fact press this key combo, this is
8 > what happens: Firefox restarts. I have no use for this, while the
9 > Reader shortcut is moderately useful.
10 >
11 > I haven't seen the Restart menu item before, I think it appeared with
12 > the last stable Firefox upgrade (60.7.2). Is this a problem with
13 > upstream or the Gentoo package? Can it be worked around, without
14 > leaving _all_ developer features out?
18 I've never heard of reader mode so I had to google it.  It seems you use
19 a binary package since you mentioned it being a Gentoo package.  I could
20 be mistaken on that.  I compile from source with the following USE flags.
21
22 [ebuild   R   ~] www-client/firefox-67.0.4::gentoo  USE="dbus
23 gmp-autoupdate screenshot startup-notification system-av1
24 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-sqlite system-webp
25 -bindist -clang -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free
26 -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel -jack -lto (-neon) -pgo -pulseaudio
27 (-selinux) -system-libevent -system-libvpx -test -wayland -wifi"
28
29 If the thinking is that the binary build is causing this, I'd say that
30 is not the case.  I seem to have the same key shortcuts for both items
31 as you have here as well.  Since I have several different profiles for
32 my Firefox, including one that I just use to test things with, I started
33 it and tested it.  The problem here is that something else KDE related
34 has that same shortcut and it catches it before Firefox does.  While I
35 can't duplicate what you get, I suspect if I could find and get rid of
36 whatever that is here, Firefox would behave the same as yours since both
37 have that same shortcut setting which appears to be a default and I
38 can't find a way to change it.  There could be a way in about:config but
39 I try not to mess with that to much.
40
41 While I can't completely duplicate it, I can confirm that the shortcut
42 is set the same way as yours even when compiled from source.  It would
43 seem that it is a Firefox issue where one person doing the restart
44 wasn't aware that the person doing the reader view was already using
45 that shortcut.  May want to head over to Firefox with a can of Raid.
46 There's a bug to kill.  ;-)
47
48 Hope that helps, a little at least.
49