From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing virtual machine under gentoo
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 16:58:48
1 On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 01:31:12 -0500,
2 Grant Taylor wrote:
3 >
4 > On 1/1/22 11:05 PM, John Covici wrote:
5 > > Well, I foujnd out something. If I go to the file menu, I can
6 > > add the connection manually and it works,
7 >
8 > That sounds familiar.
9 >
10 > > but I wonder why I have to do that?
11 >
12 > Because the KVM Virtual Manager is designed such that it can
13 > administer KVM / libvirt / qemu on multiple systems. It's really
14 > client-server infrastructure. You're just needing to point the
15 > client at your local server one time.
16 >
17 > > Also, before I do anything, it asks me for the root password
18 > > and says system policy prevents local management of virtual
19 > > machines. Do you know why this is so?
20 >
21 > This also seems familiar.
22 >
23 > Try re-starting the libvirt / kvm daemons. They may not be aware
24 > that your user is now a member of the proper group. -- Aside:
25 > This is why a reboot is ... convenient, but not required.
26 >
27 > This /should/ be taken care of proper group administration for
28 > your normal user.
29 >
30 > I ran into this a long time ago when I set up KVM on my last
31 > Gentoo system. I don't remember exactly what I had to do to
32 > resolve it. I do know that it was less than five minutes of
33 > searching the web to find the answer, cussing at what needed to
34 > be done, and doing it. That system has been running perfectly
35 > fine for many years.
38 OK, more progress and a few more questions.
39
40 In the virt-manager, I could not figure out how to add disk storage to
41 the vm. I have a partition I can use for the disk storage -- is this
42 different from the virtual machine image?
43
44 Of even more importance, how do I bridge the vm onto my existing
45 network? I have a nic for internal items named eno1 and another nic
46 which connects to the outside world, I would like to bridge to the
47 internal network, that would give the vm a dhcp address, etc.
51 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
52 How do
53 you spend it?
54
55 John Covici wb2una