From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fbsplash
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:08:27
1 On Sunday 10 July 2005 18:21, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > Uwe Thiem wrote:
3 > >Hi folks,
4 > >
5 > >"verbose mode" of fbsplash doesn't seem to work any more. If I press F2
6 > > during the boot process or switch to a text console after booting the
7 > > background is black instead of showing my specified picture. Same
8 > > behaviour for the themes emergence, gentoo and my own one. I skipped a
9 > > couple of kernels, so I am not too sure when it started. Current kernel
10 > > is 2.6.12-r4.
11 > >
12 > >Anybody else seeing this?
13 >
14 > Not happening to me. What are your kernel boot options? Does
15 > specifying verbose there work?
16
17 No, doesn't work either.
18
19 The options are pretty much out of HOWTO.fbsplash:
20 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hda2 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 udev
21 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-32@85 splash=silent,theme:sysex
22 initrd /boot/fbsplash-sysex-1024x768
23
24 I just added "udev" for obvious reasons and "CONSOLE" because the kernel
25 complained about that option missing (plus, "silent mode" didn't work without
26 it either). Could reduce bpp to 16 or some such but then again, why would
27 "silent" work while "verbose" doesn't?
28
29 I've got another box where everything still works. That one runs an older
30 kernel (2.6.9-r3). So I guess it's kernel dependent.
31
32 Uwe
35 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
36 developers. - Linus Torvalds
37
38 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
39 --