From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Permissions of /etc/sudoers
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:57:32
1 b.n. wrote:
2 > Michael Hentsch ha scritto:
3 >> The file /etc/sudoers should always be edited with visudo. visudo uses
4 >> file locking, provides basic sanity checks and checks for parse errors.
5 >
6 > This always made me crazy.
7 >
8 > Why, why, why should I use a specialized editor to edit a system file?
9 > It's not like we have vixorgconf, vifstab. You are welcome to edit these
10 > files with any editor you like. Why is /etc/sudoers special?
11
12 Because it needs to be checked for errors before you save it.
13
14 But visudo uses the editor specified in the EDITOR environment variable
15 (a lot programs do; EDITOR for editing and VISUAL for viewing). In
16 /etc/env.d/99local, I have:
17
18 EDITOR=kwrite
19
20 So here, visudo brings up KDE's text editor.