From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can I use for a compressed file system?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:45:07
1 Ahh, some of these look useful - going to start with compfused
2 (developed on gentoo, though there is no ebuild)
3
4 BillK
5
6 On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 11:18 +0200, Sascha Lucas wrote:
7 > On Fri, 12 May 2006, W.Kenworthy wrote:
8 >
9 > > What can I use for a compressed file system? I am looking at setting up
10 > > a loopback mounted filesystem that I want to use to store backups into.
11 > > Compression is needed as space will become a limitation in the future (I
12 > > want to do a whole system backup that so far is 2:1 compressed via
13 > > tar.bzip2. I am thinking of using dirvish into a compressed loopback
14 > > mount - but how do I set up a compressed fs?
15 > >
16 > > Squashfs, cloop and zisofs are readonly, I have looked at encfs (looks
17 > > nice), but it doesnt seem to compress, just encrypt and I dont want the
18 > > overhead, or need it. e2compr looks a bit like abandonware - what else
19 > > is available?
20 >
21 > linux+FS+compression+rw=lost. use windows :-O or solaris. May be you can
22 > try FUSE + http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems.
23 >
24 > Sascha.
25 --