From: "Florian Gamböck" <ml@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Haskell hell
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 07:59:26
1 Hi Klaus,
2
3 On 2018-10-05 07:55, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
4 > Currently I suffer from the bad haskell hell. I need the current
5 > git-annex that is only available in the haskell overlay.
6 >
7 > (...)
8 >
9 > Isn't there a way to escape the haskell dependency hell? Is there a
10 > clean way to compile and use haskell stuff? That is a real nightmare.
11
12 first of all, let me tell you that I am not a Haskell expert and the
13 following is only based on my personal experience.
14
15 I had similar problems with using pandoc, which also guides me in the
16 "Haskell hell", as you call it. However, since I added 'dev-haskell/*'
17 into my package.keywords, I have not experienced anything problematic
18 anymore.
19
20 As for rebuilds and preserved libs, sometimes (rarely) after big updates
21 I get segmentation faults and the like with Haskell packages. Since I
22 have "buildpkg" in my FEATURES, I can do the following: Remove the
23 complete dev-haskell folder in my bin-package directory, plus maybe the
24 packages, that depend on them, so app-text/pandoc or dev-vcs/git-annex.
25 And then I recompile every package, that does not have a binary package
26 present. This way, even if some packages fail because of OOM or the
27 like, I can just continue where I left off, because the succeeded
28 ebuilds created binary packages.
29
30 I have never used haskell-updater, I never needed to.
31
32 So, to summarize:
33
34 - dev-haskell/* to package.keywords
35 - use buildpkg when compiling/upgrading haskell
36
37 Disclaimer: Your experience MAY vary. ;-)
40 Regards
41
42 Flo