From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:33:46
1 On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > What's the difference (in performance) between fglrx and xf86-video-ati ?
4
5 My experience with my first and only ATI video card (a Mobility Radeon
6 9700), is that the opensource drivers for my chipset are basically
7 useless for anything 3D. Slow, corrupt graphics, freezing the
8 computer. The ati-drivers/fglrx was several times faster and much more
9 stable.
10
11 Unfortunately, ATI removed support for my card from their drivers in
12 2009, leaving me no choice but to use the OSS driver unless I want to
13 downgrade my system to use kernel 2.6.28 or earlier.