From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] External USB drive
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 03:49:32
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've just upgraded to modular X, KDE 3.5 and installed a new CD-RW
4 drive. My system is back to working flawlessly.
5
6 However, my issue now is trying to get an external Iomega 250 gig usb
7 hard drive to work.
8
9 I've tried googling for information as well as looking in the archives.
10 However, all the information is old. For instance, it tells me that usb
11 peripherals are recognized ad scsi devices, which is true in for my zip
12 drive, which is sda4. However, /dev appears to have changed and there
13 are no longer multiple choices like sda1, etc.
14
15 Regardless, if I modify fstab to read /dev/usb and save the file, a
16 window will pop up saying that an unmounted hard drive has been
17 detected. However, if I try to mount it I'm told that /dev/usb is not a
18 block device.
19
20 This is the output from lsusb:
21
22 lsusb
23 Bus 002 Device 003: ID 059b:0035 Iomega Corp.
24 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8086:1122 Intel Corp.
25 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
26 Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:0604 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 840c
27 Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:0605 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2200c
28 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
29
30 I've tried various combinations of /dev/usb (ie 2,3, etc) and /dev/scsi,
31 but I can't get the drive to mount so I can put a file system on it.
32 And from the above, I have no idea what Bus 002 Device 002 is unless it
33 refers to the external hard drive, which is an Iomega. The Bus 002
34 Device 3 is my zip drive and on Bus 001, the peripherals are self
35 explanatory.
36
37 I don't want to do anything to fancy - it doesn't have to boot, I just
38 want it for my ripped music files.
39
40 Any help would be appreciated.
41