From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:33:05
1 On 31 January 2007 13:02, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 30 January 2007 16:06, Uwe Thiem wrote:
3
4 > > What are the specs of your box?
5 >
6 > Dell Latitude D810
7 > 2GHz Centrino
8 > 2GB Ram
9 > 80G SATA
10 > 2.6.19-suspend2-r1
11
12 Odd. My 2.8GHz Pentium 4 takes *far* longer to compile OO, something close to
13 10h, though I haven't really timed it.
16 > But, OOo is a well known resource hog that really stresses a machine when
17 > compiling, so I don't think it makes a useful measure of anything. And
18 > KDE-meta isn't much better these days either. Yesterdays sync brought in
19 > 3.5.6 and 3 or 4 other bits and pieces, which I started at 1am this
20 > morning. It's just finished now at 1pm - 12 hours!
21
22 KDE is in so far better as it doesn't forbit parallel compiling - as OO does.
23 So I can use distcc and let all my boxes contribute. That brings the compile
24 time of KDE down a lot. Unfortunately, that isn't possible with OO.
27 > But having said that, I've noticed that this kernel gives really slow disk
28 > IO which I haven't managed to track down. It feels less than half the speed
29 > I got on 2.6.18.*, and my three year old desktop with a similar world runs
30 > 'emerge -avuNDt world' twice as quick.
31
32 I am still with 2.6.18. Too many problems with 19.
33
34 Uwe
37 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
38 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
39 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
40 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list