From: Alexander Kirillov <nevis2us@××××××××.su>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:24:22
1 >>>Our cable internet service goes out frequently (and probably even more
2 >>>frequently now that winter has come to OKlahoma.) When it goes out,
3 >>>pretty much everything on my Gentoo system slows down. It's gotten to
4 >>>where just to get an application (like gnumeric) to open I have to su -
5 >>>to root and shut down /etc/init.d/net.eth0 until the Internet comes back
6 >>>on. This morning the internet was out and I'd shut down net.eth0 and
7 >>>then tried to run monodevelop and it refused to start giving me some
8 >>>message about my PC's hostname not being set correctly in /etc/hosts. I
9 >>>checked it and /etc/hosts was correct. Must just be a glitch with
10 >>>monodevelop. My question is what is it about Gentoo that relies so
11 >>>heavily on connecting to the internet? My network was running just fine
12 >>>- just the connection between the cable modem and the internet was down,
13 >>>but everything inside my router should have been fine...
14 >>
15 >>Do you have nscd running? Try to stop or restart it. It can be a real
16 >>nuisance when internet connection goes down.
17 >>It's also a good idea to run dns server locally
18 >>if only to troubleshoot name resolution problems.
19 >>HTH,
20 >>Sasha
23 > I don't have a full DNS server for my domain. Each computer on my
24 > network has a copy of the same /etc/hosts file. Is there some way I can
25 > make it use that for DNS lookups locally?
28 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_a_home-server
29 may be of use though I've never tried dnsmasq myself.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list