From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:04:24
1 On 07/16 07:59, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 20:40:17 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 07/16 07:35, Mick wrote:
4 > > > On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 20:08:03 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > > > > PS:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Found here:
8 > > > > https://gigaom.com/2014/05/11/not-all-ad-blockers-are-the-same-heres-why
9 > > > > -the -effs-privacy-badger-is-different/
10 > > > >
11 > > > > "Ghostery makes money by tracking the trackers while blocking them and
12 > > > > selling data about third party trackers, which it calls Ghostrank.
13 > > > > Disconnect takes a pay-what-you-want approach, but it is still
14 > > > > developed by a for-profit company founded by a former Google engineer.
15 > > > > Adblock is donation-supported, but many users confuse it with
16 > > > > ***>Adblock
17 > > > > Plus, which has generated controversy for having advertisers pay to
18 > > > > land on a whitelist <*** . While Adblock and Adblock plus allow users to
19 > > > > add upload their own blacklists and whitelists, Ghostery and Disconnect
20 > > > > do not even allow users to add new filters."
21 > > > > (marks be me are not part of the citiation)
22 > > > >
23 > > > > Cheers
24 > > > > Meino
25 > > >
26 > > > I tried to configure Chromium to stop loading adverts on a particular
27 > > > website. After half an hour of fighting with embedded
28 > > > frames/JavaScript/etc. eventually I managed to block half a dozen CDNs
29 > > > and add servers. A week later to my surprise I saw adverts loading again
30 > > > when I visited the same website! What the ... ? They are rotating CDN
31 > > > addresses and domain names, probably to make user attempts to block their
32 > > > payload futile.
33 > > >
34 > > > What annoys me most is websites which download GB of advertising videos
35 > > > and
36 > > > won't stop whatever you try. Some will continue to download c*ap on your
37 > > > PC even after you leave the page! Chromium has a setting to block this,
38 > > > but I have not tested it to see whether it works as ... advertised. :-)
39 > > Hi Rick,
40 > >
41 > > "Chromium" is based on Googles "Chrome", isn't it?
42 > > Is Chromium 100% Google-free?
43 > > Or does is only changed big brothers name?
44 > >
45 > > Sorry for being so pessimistic...
46 > >
47 > > Cheers
48 > > Meino
49 >
50 > I assume by "Rick" you refer to me, but either way, this explains the
51 > differences:
52 >
53 > https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/chromium_browser_vs_google_chrome.md
54 >
55 > --
56 > Regards,
57 > Mick
58
59 Hi *M*ick,
60
61 sorry for the confusion...its late (here). It was a long fay and I need some sleep.
62 Will take a look tomorrow.
63 Thanks for the link anyway...
64
65 Cheers