From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:35:40
1 >>>> >> My firewall is blocking periodic outbound connections to port 3680 on
2 >>>> >> a Rackspace IP.  How can I find out more about what's going on?  Maybe
3 >>>> >> which program is generating the connection requests?
4 >>>> >
5 >>>> > Uh, a packet sniffer?
6 >>>> >
7 >>>> > I have an old laptop here that I have a second (cardbus) network card in.
8 >>>> > Really cheap and cheerful - the sort of thing you can pick up on
9 >>>> > freecycle. It's been a while since I've done anything like this, but you
10 >>>> > should be able to stick a box like that between the router and the rest
11 >>>> > of your network, run Wireshark and filter on that port. If the
12 >>>> > connection is encrypted then at least you'll see the originating IP.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I've actually got the originating local IP from the shorewall log.
15 >>>> I'm just trying to figure out which program and maybe which user on
16 >>>> that system is generating the outbound requests to port 3680.  Is
17 >>>> there any way to get more info without setting up a new box?
18 >>>>
19 >>>> > I don't think it's relevant that the IP belongs to Rackspace - don't they
20 >>>> > just hire (virtual) servers to anyone that wants one?
21 >>>>
22 >>>> Yeah I just meant the request could be going to "anyone".
23 >>>>
24 >>>> - Grant
25 >>>
26 >>> Are you running NPDS in your LAN and is it configured to access any sites on
27 >>> rackspace?
28 >>> --
29 >>> Regards,
30 >>> Mick
31 >>
32 >> I am not running NPDS.  I looked it up when I was researching port
33 >> 3680 and read about it for the first time.  I know which machine is
34 >> making the requests.  Any way to drill down further?
35 >
36 > If the machine is running linux, then 'watch "lsof -n|grep TCP|grep
37 > 3680"' as root is a sloppy but effective way to find it. There's
38 > probably some way to set up a firewall rule on the host in question
39 > that logs out the user and (possibly) PID of the connection, but I
40 > don't know.
41
42 All of my systems run Gentoo. :) Where does watch come from?
43
44 - Grant