From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sans-dbus was: gnome intrusion?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 21:09:29
1 On 19/11/2016 22:47, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2016-11-19 14:16, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Presumably if you sent a dbus message to your service manager asking
5 >> it to start a daemon that doesn't count as being behind your back.
6 >
7 > I did not - some program which I never heard of but is part of the DE du
8 > jour did, without any explicit configuration to do so. Typically when
10 > the first time.
11 >
12 > I hope you agree this is very different from daemons started by init
13 > (whatever flavor).
17 I do not agree.
18
19 The big two DE's start dbus because the developers write code that needs
20 it. There is no explicit config to start it in the form of "dbus=yes" in
21 kde.conf because it is required.
22
23 init starts a whole bunch of stuff. It's all terribly mysterious until
24 you read the relevant docs, at which point it ceases to be so mysterious
25 and becomes knowledge.
26
27 Same with everything KDE, Gnome et al do that you are complaining about.
28 It's only worth complaining about being mysterious because you have not
29 yet studied them and understand them.
30
31 Yes I know init and KDE are very very different beasts from different
32 eras with different approaches to getting stuff done and so can appear
33 completely different. But within the contact of /this/ thread, they are
34 very similar. And you don't understand one of them to anything like the
35 same standard you understand the other.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com