From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:36:35
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:57:49 schrieb Dale:
5 >>>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >>>>> Am Sonntag, 16. September 2012, 20:39:36 schrieb Dale:
7 >>>>>> The important part is about 'if you are unsure about this, say N here'.
8 >>>>>> Well, I don't think I need USB remote wakeup or anything so I don't
9 >>>>>> think I need this but at the same time, udisk is giving me notice that
10 >>>>>> it should be there.
11 >>>>> you you never thought about turning on your system via keyboard instead of
12 >>>>> crawling under the table?
13 >>>> Actually, no. I have one of those large HAF 932 cases that is about the
14 >>>> same height as my keyboard. It's just about as easy to hit one as it is
15 >>>> to hit the other. Add in that I rarely reboot either. I don't really
16 >>>> see the need to use my keyboard as a power switch, not for me anyway. I
17 >>>> have one that is on top of the case, which is where it should be in my
18 >>>> opinion.
19 >>> so you let your box run full power all the time?
20 >>>
21 >>> Doesn't that sound.... stupid?
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> No. To me, turning a puter on/off whenever you walk away is sort of
25 >> stupid. Me, I never know when I will be needing my puter and I don't
26 >> want to wait for it to boot up and get me logged in every time I want to
27 >> use it. The power it pulls is about the same as me leaving a light bulb
28 >> on. So, in my opinion and for my usage, leaving it on is not stupid.
29 >> Doing the opposite could be closer to stupid. Same for my TV. The only
30 >> time I turn my TV off is when I am leaving the house for a good long
31 >> while. Before you say that I am wearing out my TV, my last TV was well
32 >> over 20 years old and the only repairs to it was replacing the speakers
33 >> that dried out. It was still working when I ran up on this half price
34 >> sale for my current TV. I gave the old TV to a friend and as far as I
35 >> know, it still works.
36 >>
37 >> I'm not saying that *MY* usage should be the same as someone else's. At
38 >> the same time, mine should not be the same as yours or others. Just as
39 >> a example. I'm downloading TV shows from various websites. When I get
40 >> ready to go to bed, I line up several videos for download. It may
41 >> download for hours while I sleep. Heck, I sometimes wake up before it
42 >> gets through and I add more to the list. I can't do that if I shutdown
43 >> my computer each time I walk away.
44 >>
45 >> Stupid, not even close.
46 > Maybe not stupid under some definitions, but a waste of power for
47 > sure. When I leave my house, I hibernate my computer; that way I can
48 > even unplug the regulator where everything is connected, so not even
49 > standby energy is wasted. When I'm in my house but not on the
50 > computer, I suspend it.
51 >
52 > When I turn it on from being hibernated, it takes about 10 seconds to
53 > get to my full desktop. When I wake it up from suspension, it takes
54 > less than 2 seconds. When it is suspended, it wastes 5 watts (instead
55 > of 4 when it's turned off, but connected to the power grid), according
56 > to:
57 >
58 > http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2012/08/05/staring-into-the-axis-abyss-the-railgun-map/
59 >
60 > Of course it would be more comfortable to just leave it on all the
61 > time. It would also be more comfortable to not separate organic and
62 > inorganic waste.
63 >
64 > Oh, and by the way, what kind of light bulbs do you use that waste as
65 > much power as your PC? Mine uses 15 watts; it's one of the new CFLs:
66 >
67 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp
68 >
69 > It is more expensive, and it's a pain to dispose it; but it gives the
70 > same light that a 75 watts normal light bulb, and it pays itself on
71 > electric bills only. Also, it will last longer.
72 >
73 > When I moved in with my GF, her electric bill shoot up to the roof (I
74 > brought my 46" LCD TV, PlayStation 3, and in total 5 computers and
75 > other electronics). After a couple of months of shock of seeing the
76 > electric bills, we started to do this kind of stuff
77 > (suspending/hibernating our machines, using CFL instead of normal
78 > light bulbs, etc.), and we cut the spending almost in four.
79 >
80 > It is a *little* inconvenience (waiting a few seconds for the TV, the
81 > PS3 or the PC to wake up), but huge money savings.
82 >
83 > THAT is certainly not stupid.
84 >
85 > Regards.
86
87 I guess you pay more per Kwatt than I do then. I would much rather cut
88 back on something else than my computer.
89
90 I still use the old style bulbs a lot. I do have some of those little
91 swirly things but not everywhere.
92
93 Dale
94
98 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!