From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vlc wants to slot ffmpeg?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:55:17
1 On 27 Jun 2008, at 17:08, Brian Johnson wrote:
2 > ...
3 > This doesn't mean that ffmpeg is slotted. It means that the version
4 > of VLC you're trying to merge depends on an OLDER version of
5 > ffmpeg. VLC has some major issues with later versions of ffmpeg
6 > that are being handled rather poorly upstream. So unfortunately, if
7 > you want to use a stable VLC (0.8.x) you have to use a rather old
8 > ffmpeg. Nothing can be done to correct this. If you want a newer
9 > ffmpeg, try moving to a masked version of VLC or find a 0.9.x
10 > version in an overlay.
11 >
12 > Any attempt at making VLC 0.8.x work with newer versions of ffmpeg
13 > will result in video playback with audio only (no video).
14
15 Thanks for the explanation. I'll wait until 0.9 goes stable.
16
17 When originally running `emerge -pv world` I *did* get an emerge
18 message about slotting, and it did appear to be trying to emerge BOTH
19 versions of ffmpeg, but I'm afraid I can't reproduce this now. I
20 guess I could do so by grabbing the media-video/vlc-0.8.6f ebuild
21 from Portage's attic putting it in local, but I can't be arsed.
22 You'll just have to trust me when I say I don't know the exact message.
23
24 Thanks for trying,
25
26 Stroller.