From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] invisible README
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:07:33
1 On 17 February 2011 05:45, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 110216 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> I recently put some files at  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/esp/ .
5 >>> One of them is  README.pdf , which is visible when I list the dir contents
6 >>> using SSh or Krusader, but which is not shown by FF, Konqueror or Lynx.
7 >>> If I make a copy called  READFILE.pdf , it is shown by the browsers.
8 >>> Can anyone explain what's going on ?
9 >> Maybe your IndexIgnore setting is something like this:
10 >> IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t
11 >>> So, where do I look for 'IndexIgnore ... ' ?
12 >> The configuration line I quoted was taken from the Apache documentation:
13 >> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexignore
14 >
15 > Yes, I checked Google & it appears there sb a file  .htaccess
16 > in the public dir, which can contain the IndexIgnore line.
17 > However, the server I'm using is on a university multi-user system
18 > & so I don't have root access to change its default settings
19 > nor do I know whether creating my own  .htaccess  would work.
20 > My workaround -- renaming to  READTHIS  -- is adequate.
21 > Thanks to all who offered advice.
22
23 You can try adding your own .htaccess at your webroot or even the
24 directory in question and see if that overrides the default settings.
25 Depending on how much they have locked down the apache configuration
26 you may be able to override their default settings with yours as far
27 as your particular directory is concerned.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick