From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck won't work if ac cord not attached?!
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:48:18
1 >> > You say "Chaos ensues" ... in what way? Further errors, failure to
2 >> > boot, file system corruption, or...? The problem isn't likely rooted
3 >> > in the fact that it doesn't run an fsck when the system's booting on
4 >> > battery, but rather that you have some more pressing problem that
5 >> > should be addressed.
6 >>
7 >> /var and /home fail to mount with predictable consequences.
8 >
9 > That's not caused by fsck not running, on most boots it doesn't run
10 > anyway, just looks to see if it's due o be run. If those filesystems
11 > won't mount without being fscked first, there is something wrong with
12 > them and they need to be fixed.
13
14 Right.
15
16 Go ahead and turn off fsck at boot to deal with these more serious
17 problems first. This is controlled by the 0 or 1 flag in /etc/fstab
18 (1 being fsck during boot every so-often). You can make it look
19 something like:
20
21 /dev/sda3 / ext3 noatime 0 0
22
23 Of course, if there are serious filesystem structural problems you'll
24 want to get them solved, but it's either a LiveCD chroot or disable
25 fsck at boot.
26
27 OpenRC is also in portage, so I'm not clear on why you need the
28 bleeding edge source from git...
29
30 In fact, if you're not familiar with git, and you want to shift to
31 OpenRC (not a bad idea), I'd suggest following the Gentoo
32 documentation, as I found it quite good:
33 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
34
35 Regards,
36 daid