From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE VM Plasmashell corrupt
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 21:37:08
1 I have Gentoo with KDE running in a Virtualbox VM. It's a new install,
2 created and updated with the most recent packages less than a week ago.
3 When I first start up the VM, the KDE desktop will not respond to the
4 mouse. There's a rectangular box in the bottom right corner that's
5 shaded darker than the rest of the desktop. It appears as though there
6 may be a dialog box there that is not properly displaying. Neither
7 left or right clicking on the desktop, the menu app, the icons on the
8 desktop, etc. has any effect. The system doesn't even seem to register
9 the clicks. (I've also tried clicking on just about every pixel in the
10 shaded dialog-box area.) However,if I put the cursor over the three
11 parallel lines in the upper left corner of the desktop, the icon
12 changes shade and shows the shadow. It doesn't respond to clicks,
13 however.
14
15 I can press the Alt-F2 shortcut key and bring up the Run App dialog
16 box. I can run Konsole from there. Once I bring up Konsole, I can
17 move, resize and otherwise manipulate the window with the mouse as
18 normal. I can select text in the window by clicking and dragging. But
19 I still cannot do anything with mouse clicks outside the window.
20
21 In console, I can kill the plasmashell and manually restart it. Once I
22 do that, the desktop responds to the mouse normally until I restart the
23 VM.
24
25 I've logged in as root and completely deleted ~/.kde4 (under my normal
26 login) and rebooted without fixing the issue.
27
28 Since restarting plasmashell causes everything to work normally, I
29 believe this is a KDE issue and not a Virtualbox mouse issue. I
30 suppose it's possible something isn't working right with the virtual
31 mouse when KDE first starts and it is working right later when I
32 restart plasmashell, but that seems unlikely. If it matters, the host
33 machine is also Gentoo running KDE.
34
35 Any ideas or suggestions for resolving the issue greatly appreciated.