From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Radeon KMS driver - what benefits?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:57:50
1 On 11/22/2010 07:02 PM, Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > I have just gone through the steps to use the Radeon KMS driver on my old
3 > laptop which has an RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]. Everything seems to work
4 > all right and I get the right "render string" from glxinfo. However, I thought
5 > it might enable compositing to work on the KDE4 desktop but there is no
6 > change. What's more, glxgears used to give about 2200 FPS but now it's 50! So
7 > have I been wasting my time?
8
9 You have to enable compositing yourself in System Settings.
10
11 KMS means you're using DRI2 now, which results in a VSync'ed OpenGL
12 rendering. Though I'd expect 60FPS because of VSync, not 50 :-P
13
14 One other thing you should do is to enable the "gallium" USE flag and
15 re-emerge Mesa. Then switch to the Gallium driver using:
16
17 eselect mesa r300 gallium
18
19 Because that driver is the recommended one for your hardware (R300).
20 The classic driver should be avoided.