From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: meino.cramer@×××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo SDcard updates tactics
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 04:29:21
1 On 10/06/2014 11:29 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > There are two SDcards of the same brand and model.
5 > The first one cariies a not so current Gentoo Linux.
6 > The second one is empty.
7 > Now the first one is image-copied to the second one with dd,
8 > which copies the contents of the whole device (not the partitions).
9 >
10 > Then the first one is put into my embedded system, boots up and
11 > the normal eix-syn/emerge/compiel is done to update the system (whch
12 > takes a longer time becaus this is an embedded system).
13 >
14 > Will I get a technical identical working and valid copy of the first sdcard onto
15 > the second sdcard if I rsync the relevant partition of the first onto
16 > the second sdcard.
17 >
18 > Or will I produce crap this way? Is this valid Gentoo-wise?
19 >
20 > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
21 >
22 > Best regards,
23 > mcc
27 Seems like it should work as long as you didn't update the kernel or any
28 other files under /boot, but why not just dd it again? Then you can be
29 sure it works.
30
31 Regards,
32