From: Ian Bloss <ianlinkcd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:37:28
1 Did you update your kernel in the process as well?
2
3 On Mon, Mar 21, 2016, 07:53 Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
4 wrote:
5
6 > Hi,
7 >
8 > since an emerge-update-world on my notebook the keyboard
9 > does no longer respond in X. This is extremely annoying
10 > because when I have xdm in rc-update, X is started right at
11 > boot. I have no chance to get back to the console using
12 > Ctrl-Alt-F1, and the device in unusable.
13 >
14 > Yet, this is only a problem of the boot process. At home,
15 > when I ssh into the system, I can do an
16 >
17 > # /etc/init.d/xdm restart
18 >
19 > and from that point on the keyboard works. It is even
20 > possible to disable xdm in rc-update and start it after the
21 > boot process has completed. I solved the problem temporarily
22 > this way, but the problem probably is a bug and should be
23 > reported.
24 >
25 > So I have a closer look. When I diff "Xorg.0.log" and
26 > "Xorg.0.log.old" (after removing the time stamps) I find one
27 > line that doesn't appear in the log of the working X.
28 >
29 > (EE) kbd: Keyboard0: failed to set us as foreground pgrp (Inappropriate
30 > ioctl for device)
31 >
32 > What does this mean? I estimate that "us" is the personal
33 > pronoun and not a keyboard layout, and that the server tries
34 > to do some chgrp on some /dev/*. I have no clue what to try
35 > next.
36 >
37 > Thanks in advance.
38 >