From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 13:40:17
1 On Friday, 10 January 2020 18:07:29 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Just to close out my part of this what-turned-out-to be-non-Gentoo thread...
4 >
5 > 1) I went down the Clonezilla path never having used it before. It was easy
6 > to use, cloned the hard drive, Win 10 Home (what was actually installed)
7 > booted but wasn't reliable and kept crashing. I may not have done this the
8 > best way, going directly from the old drive to the SSD. Possibly should
9 > have created an image instead but I didn't know that at the time.
10
11 Hmm ... I wonder if this is something to do with TRIM settings and SSD
12 drivers, which the original installation probably would not have activated? I
13 don't really know what drivers MSWindows kernel loads or what firmware it
14 fetches. I would think most of this would be automated and a Windows Update
15 would sort out any such issues.
18 > 2) I then went down the path of figuring out how to get human support at
19 > Microsoft. It turns out that Win 10 has a built in method for moving to a
20 > new hard drive on the same machine based on creating a system image much
21 > like I imagine Clonezilla would have done had I chosen that option. I
22 > created the image, put the SSD into the machine, rebooted from a Win 10 USB
23 > install flash drive and chose to do the recovery method instead of the
24 > install. A little while later the machine booted from the SSD and has been
25 > stable for the last day or two.
26 >
27 > I've dedicated an older WD Green 1TB drive to keeping the system images and
28 > will image this machine once every few months or so in case I need to do
29 > this again in the future.
30 >
31 > I'll be back to talk about using Gentoo again soon. Sorry for the noise and
32 > as always this is one of the very best, most helpful places for good Linux
33 > info so thanks, thanks, thanks.
34 >
35 > Cheers,
36 > Mark
37
38 Let me add two more, slightly unrelated to Gentoo, pieces of info.
39
40 1. Microsoft Windows Product Key
41
42 As Wol mentioned in a previous post, using a Microsoft Product Key from the
43 back of a laptop which has *never* been used before to install a MSWindows OS,
44 works as advertised for the same type of MSWindows edition. I checked the
45 Product Key on a 'Windows 7 Home' OEM installation using a VBS script. This
46 was the OEM Product Key and I noticed it was different to the Product Key
47 which was on a sticker at the back of the laptop case.
48
49 Then I tried using the key on the sticker to activate a 'Windows 10 Pro'
50 installation. It didn't take. I tried the same 'Windows 7 Home' sticker key
51 to activate a 'Windows 10 Home' installation. It worked! :-)
52
53 2. Obligatory Microsoft Account registration.
54
55 Every time I touch a MSWindows OS I get more annoyed than the last time. I
56 went through the installation process. During the finishing touches of the
57 installation the OS configured the keyboard, network and then the user
58 account. Unlike previous Windows 10 installations which offered the option of
59 configuring a local user account, this time I was only given the choice of
60 using or creating a (online) Microsoft Account, by entering (linking to it) my
61 personal email, phone or Skype account. No option for a local account. To
62 by-pass this forced Microsoft Account creation/registration I shut down the OS
63 and rebooted without an Internet connection. This time I was offered the
64 option to create a local account. I mention this in case you also want to
65 install a recent build ISO of Windows 10 without registering any online
66 Microsoft credentials.
67
68 After I booted into the account I was able to switch off a load of privacy
69 invading functionality that comes preconfigured with this OS, inc.
70 geolocation, access to my contacts, photos, calls, etc.
71
72 I know a Gentoo installation takes longer, but at the same time I find it
73 *much* less annoying in every respect. ;-)
76 Regards,
77 Mick