From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop dual-boot rebuild - disk partition questions
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 18:20:01
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 <SNIP>:
3 > >
4 > > sda1 -> /boot = 50MB
5 > > sda2 -> swap (unsure whether I should dedicate 4GB to this. That's 5%
6 > > of my drive and I won't likely ever use all of 2GB or RAM.)
7 > > sda3 -> /var = 2GB
8 > > sda4 ==extended
9 > > sda5 -> / balance of Linux side, say 55GB
10 > > sda6 == Windows drive C:
11 > >
12 > > Any and all comments and ideas welcomed.
13 >
14 > Any particular reason to put windows at the end of the drive? This should
15 > however not be a problem, it you partition the space at the beginning of
16 > the disk *before* installing XP (eg, doing (c)fdisk from a livecd).
17 >
18 > On my laptop, I partitioned as follows:
19 >
20 > hda1 -> windows (23GB)
21 > hda2 -> extended
22 > hda5 -> /boot (50MB)
23 > hda6 -> swap (2GB)
24 > hda7 -> /home (45GB)
25 > hda8 -> / (remaining space, ~10GB)
26 >
27 > I don't need a separate /var. Do you have special requirements to keep it
28 > separated?
29 > On the other hand, I like to use a dedicated partition for /home. This is
30 > useful because you can share your home folder among different distros
31 > (in case you have more than one installed), and, more important, if you
32 > need you can wipe / and reinstall without touching /home (probably
33 > saving /etc and something else beforehand if you want...but still
34 > quicker than backing up several GB of data, which you are forced to do
35 > if you have /home on /).
36
37 Great inputs. I'm going to use a 10GB partition for /home, a 40GB
38 partition for data shared with XP, and a 1.3GB /var partition. My
39 reason for keeping /var on it's own is that I sometimes run into
40 programs that spew so much stuff into /var that they will fill up the
41 partition. If that happens then I cannot log into X until I clean it
42 up. It's just what I do.
43
44 I put in a 2GB swap partition. It's not 2x memory but I really think
45 it's unlikely that I'll need it. If I do then I'll size down the data
46 sharing partition which I'm putting at the end of the drive and put it
47 out there.
48
49 Thanks,
50 Mark