From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation Problem
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:27:20
1 On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 08:01 -0500, David Relson wrote:
2 > G'day,
3
4 Hi
5
6 > So far, I've twice had the Gentoo install run for 12 hours and then
7 > found the machine hung.
8
9 this sounds like a hardware issue - I would guess that you either have
10 faulty ram (or something similar); or your cpu is getting too hot!
11
12 It is often the case that these issues don't surface until you do
13 something intensive like compile gentoo!
14
15 > What's the recommended procedure for completing the install?
16
17 I've never used the graphical install from 2006.0, so I don't know how
18 you can continue from there, but have a look at section 6 of the gentoo
19 handbook (not the 2006.0 version):
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6
22 6. Installing the Gentoo Base System
23 6.a. Chrooting
24
25 follow the instructions up to and including the chroot command (no need
26 to do the mirrorselect or dns info commands)
27
28 Once you've chrooted to your new install, just type 'emerge --resume'
29 and it should continue from the last package that was installed.
30
31 Hope this works for you,
35 Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't make eight cats pull a sled through
36 the snow.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list