From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to run 2.6.25 kernel (no DEVTMPFS)?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:32:41
1 On 2014-02-14, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I need to do some testing with kernels as far back as 2.6.25. I've
5 >> currently got a Gentoo box that can build and run kernels ranging from
6 >> 3.14.rc2 to 2.6.32. There are various gcc and make issues which have
7 >> been successfully dealt with, but now I'm stuck on DEVTMPFS.
8 >>
9 >> Prior to 2.6.32 DEVTMPFS isn't available, so even though I can build
10 >> and boot a 2.6.25 kernel, udev craps out.
11 >>
12 >> There are plenty of spare paritions to play with, so doing a Linux
13 >> install to test with kernels older than 2.6.32 is no problem.
14 >>
15 >> I'm wondering if instead of downloading an old Ubuntu or Fedora DVD,
16 >> is there any way to install an "old" version of Gentoo that will work
17 >> with pre-DEVTMPFS kernels?
18 >
19 > Do you actually need udev?
20
21 Good question -- I probably don't. For the testing in question I
22 should be able to live with a static /dev directory. Is there any
23 documentation on doing a Gentoo install without udev?
24
25 > If you can get away with just having a static /dev with pre-created
26 > device nodes, that would be the simplest solution.
27
28 It would probably be asking for too much to try to toggle between udev
29 and static /dev at boot time in a single installation...
32 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Yes, but will I
33 at see the EASTER BUNNY in
34 gmail.com skintight leather at an
35 IRON MAIDEN concert?