From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More lvm2 questions
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:23:03
1 walt wrote:
2 > Something in today's update for ~amd64 changed the bootup behavior
3 > of lvm (again). Now I get an error message that none of the labels
4 > on my lvm disks can be found (I mount by disk label in fstab).
5 >
6 > So now lvm is starting even later than before. I still get the
7 > (now familiar) error from lvm that file locking failed, but I've
8 > been seeing that since the last thread on the subject and this
9 > problem just started today. (lvm does start eventually, but only
10 > after fstab fails to find the lvm disks).
11 >
12 > While poking around in the rc scripts I realized that device-mapper
13 > daemon is no longer running -- I think it was running a few months
14 > ago but I can't be certain now. Should it be running?
15 >
16 > I added device-mapper to the boot runlevel but it changed nothing
17 > AFAICT.
18 >
19 > Also, I notice that a /run directory on tmpfs appeared a while ago
20 > (can't remember when) and I think that should have fixed the file
21 > locking error from lvm, no? But it's not fixed for me.
22 >
23 > What are you guys seeing?
29 Have you searched the forums? I'm not sure but I think I ran across
30 that issue while searching for the other issues you described, missing
31 lock file. There was a fix for what you are having but I can't recall
32 what it was off the top of my head. I think it was putting
33 device-mapper in the boot runlevel but don't break things on my bad
34 memory. :/
35
36 I'm also pretty sure I was using google to search the forums too. I
37 have found that google does a MUCH better job with searches than the
38 forums search tool.
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
46 how you interpreted my words!
47
48 Miss the compile output? Hint:
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"