From: simply change <adaptit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to deploy a video lab?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:30:44
1 friend nick,
2
3 mainActor wants a serial no to work without the watermark sign. so anything
4 have to...
5
6 On 7/27/05, Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
7 >
8 > better still install main actor. heres how I did it:
9 >
10 > 1. Go to http://mainconcept.com and download the SuSE rpm. The file I
11 > downloaded is mainactor-5.5.7-suse_9.3.i686.rpm
12 >
13 > 2. emerge rpm if it is not already on your system
14 >
15 > 3. install mainactor:
16 >
17 > rpm -Uvh --nodeps mainactor-5.5.7-suse_9.3.i686.rpm
18 >
19 > 4. run the binary:
20 >
21 > mactor
22 >
23 > 5. There is a good manual for downloading in pdf format. It is worth
24 > reading. There are also support forums.
25 >
26 > This is a closed source package, but it is IMHO very good. It will
27 > work as per a licensed copy except it renders a message on your video
28 > when doing final rendering. You can therefore get a good idea of what it
29 > does, without the normal shareware "die after 30 days" or "render only
30 > up to two minutes" nonsense. The license is EUR177/USD199. Not super
31 > cheap, but there is not a lot of choice of good video editing software
32 > on linux.
33 >
34 > kino is quite good, but limited in the file formats it will handle,
35 > basically dv (ie as captured from a digital video camera). it will
36 > render to other formats, but will only import a rather limited range.
37 >
38 > cinelerra should be good but is almost document-less.
39 >
40 > avidemux is a good front end for basic cutting of scenes and trancoding
41 > to other formats, but doesn't have any ability to add effects or
42 > transitions,
43 > so is not a real video editor of the sort you want. Its good for
44 > bringing in a video track (eg recorded tv), cutting out the bits you
45 > don't want (ads, start & finish overlap, sex etc) and then rendering to
46 > something like xvid, although it will render to DVD compatible mpeg2
47 > too.
48 >
49 > You may want to present clients with well mastered dvd's once you have
50 > edited the scenes and added transitions and a soundtrack. I know that
51 > some winders products offer a suite which does everything from DV camera
52 > import
53 > through to burning the DVD. The linux approach will require more mix and
54 > match, especially putting together DVD menus and stuff which will
55 > require a tool like dvdstyler.I have successfully used dvdstyler to make
56 > dvd's of family movies, recorded TV etc complete with menus.
57 >
58 > One thing to note too is that there is a bit of a trend for cameras to
59 > take mpeg or avi files instead of the more tradition digital video cam
60 > DV format, It would pay to make sure that you will be able to use your
61 > raw material in whatever software you decide to use. There are all sorts
62 > of possibilities for transcoding stuff to a usable format before you
63 > edit it, but the more steps you put in the process the more quality you
64 > can lose.
67 > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:44:46 -0400