From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Online hosting recommendation - VMs?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 03:30:47
1 On March 26, 2017 4:57:00 AM GMT+02:00, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >Hello,
3 >
4 >In the next few weeks I need to move my email server (a very old Gentoo
5 >installation) from the closet in my home, into the cloud so that I can
6 >go travelling and access my mail from anywhere.
7 >
8 >I've never used VM's before, but my understanding is that they look
9 >just like a normal machine to the users inside them, and there
10 >shouldn't be any problem with me getting used to them. My current mail
11 >server is an old 700mhz Pentium III (I think), so performance is
12 >unimportant. I guess VM's have some kind of web or VNC console I can
13 >log into for the initial install (and if I screw up remote access)?
14 >
15 >1. Are these suppositions right?
16 >2. Any recommendations for cheap / reliable hosting providers, please?
17 >
18 >I expect to use Gentoo because I've hardly used any other distro for
19 >years, and find others less intuitive.
20 >
21 >Thanks,
22 >
23 >Stroller.
24
25 I use a Dutch VPS provider:
26 http://www.vpsdirect.nl
27
28 They are quite good and reliable (and not expensive either). Don't officially support Gentoo, but they support uploading your own ISO image to boot from.
31 Joost
34 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.