From: Ricardo Bevilacqua <rus.spes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem mounting cdrom,cdrw,usb
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 04:01:28
1 2008/6/28 Norman Hakim <desprado_mariachi@×××××.com>:
2 > Eduardo,
3 >
4 > I have checked the content of fstab and this is the result:
5 >
6 > /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
7 > /dev/hda2 none swap s w 0 0
8 > /dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
9 > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
10 > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
11 >
12 > Honestly, at first when i installed gentoo,i just installed it by using the handbook and i thought it will be no problem. Actually this is my first time using Linux and i never have any experience using it before.
13 >
14 > Regards,
15 > Norman
16
17 Norman,
18
19 I am glad to know that you have chosen Gentoo as your first contact
20 with GNU/Linux. First of all, congratulations! having a working Gentoo
21 system without any previous Linux knowledge is a terrific start!
22
23 I assumed that you knew what fstab is and how to modify that file
24 because it is explained in the Gentoo Handbook, which is the reference
25 to install this distribution.
26
27 As explained in the Gentoo Handbook chapter 8 [1], you manually
28 created a text file under "/etc" called "fstab". This simple text file
29 contains all the necessary information to, let's say "auto-mount" your
30 different devices.
31
32 This is my fstab, I post it here as an example:
33
34 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
35 /dev/hdc1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2
36 /dev/hdc3 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
37 /dev/hdc2 none swap sw 0 0
38 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0
39 /dev/floppy/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw,user 0 0
40 /dev/hda1 /mnt/RIC vfat defaults,noatime,user 0 0
41 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/ZERO vfat defaults,noatime,user 0 0
42 /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB auto noauto,rw,user
43
44 # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
45 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
46
47 # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
48 # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
49 # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
50 # use almost no memory if not populated with files)
51 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
52 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
53
54 Usually, adding this
55
56 "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro,user 0 0"
57
58 should be enough to have your cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd working =).
59
60 If that does not work, then let us know and see if we can figure out
61 something else. If it does work, then great! go on enjoying Gentoo
62 Linux.
63
64 You learn a lot using Gentoo. Is the only distribution that gave m the
65 chance to learn a lot about Linux. It is very stable and flexible, you
66 always have control over your own system, that is very important.
67
68 Regards,
69
70 Ricardo.