From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA tuning ?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:39:05
1 Sigh. Apologies for corrupting the thread by creating a new message,
2 but I seem to have finally been bit by the "missing emails" issue, so
3 I don't have a message to reply to. I found this in the archives:
4
5 >> You mentioned problems compiling. The most likely case I can think of
6 >> is that you do not have enough memory, and are inducing the system to
7 >> swap.
8
9 > Hmmm...1GByte Dualchannel-RAM should be enough for compiling Blender
10 > (for example).
11
12 Maybe not. With -O3 FEX, some programs can take 200-400MB *per
13 module* to compile. It all depends on the complexity of the code, and
14 the problem would be particularly acute with C++ programs (which I
15 know blender is not C++, so this is just something to keep in mind).
16
17 >> Indeed when compiling most programs, you should see very little
18 >> if any disk activity.
19
20 > My SATA disk (Seagate ST3200827AS) is heavily shakeing its head when
21 > compiling...
22
23 Run top in another window while this is going on, and keep an eye on
24 your swap usage. If you see any swap being used at all, that is a bad
25 thing.
26
27 >> This is particularly suspect if you have
28 >> something like MAKEOPTS=-j4.
29
30 > Yes, normally I use "make -j 4" for useing both cores.
31
32 Try with -j2. -j3 is ideal for keeping a dual-core CPU busy, but will
33 still take a huge amount of RAM, so unless you add another GB of RAM,
34 I recommend no more than -j2. And if you are about to compile a big
35 C++ package (like KDE or OOo), drop to -j1.
36
37 -Richard
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list