From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel with DRM = blank screen
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:19:00
1 On Thursday 29 Aug 2013 09:18:31 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have an old HP 625 laptop with an ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD
5 > 4200 Series]
6 > chip on board.
7 >
8 > The xf86-video-ati driver needs DRM (direct rendering support) in the
9 > kernel.
10 > Unfortunately, if (and only if) I enable DRM (built in or as module) in
11 > a recent kernel
12 > like gentoo-sources-3.10.9, the kernel freezes with a blank screen
13 > during boot, i.e.
14 > long before xorg-server is started (only by hand in my case).
15 >
16 > So, what can I try to fix this (some IOAPIC switches on the boot
17 > command line)?
18
19 Unless you want to venture into a trial and error kernel line fest, it may
20 help if you post the point at which the kernel blanks out with any message
21 just prior to the screen freezing.
24 Regards,
25 Mick