From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:39:12
1 On 5/29/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm curious to know your approach to keeping your Gentoo box current
4 > without it becoming a full-time job. I'm not talking about
5 > maintaining servers - just your "daily driver", so to say.
6 >
7 > How often do you sync with the current portage tree and compare it
8 > your versions in "world"? Should one do this once a week? Once in
9 > two weeks?
10 >
11 > How often to you update major components, like Xorg, kernel, and
12 > system tool chain? As soon as new things become available, or, say,
13 > once a month or so?
14 >
15 > The reason I ask is because I often don't have a lot of time to devote
16 > to system administration on a regular basis but do want to keep my box
17 > updated as much as possible. How do some of you non-developers
18 > balance system administration with your "day job"?
19 > --
20 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
23 I sync and do an emerge -DNpvu world daily. The results are e-mailed to me
24 by vixie-cron. This allows me to read what new packages are available and
25 also see the updates available. These logs are sent to my gmail address
26 with a label and filter. If I am so inclined I can view the current one or
27 past ones. I can then log into the box and run emerge -DNavu world and
28 update, then run etc-update after that. The only thing that's been bugging
29 me is restarting services after they've been updated (automagically, or
30 near-auto).
33 - Mark Shields