From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EAPI packages
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:09:41
1 On 16/08/2016 18:40, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 16 Aug 2016 16:58:20 hw wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The messages are cryptic, and you have to guess what they are trying to
6 >>> tell you.
7 >>
8 >> *Guess?* Good God, man. You don't guess - you use your experience and your
9 >> logical reasoning to deduce likely cause and effect.
12 > Well, on this one I have to admit I sometimes feel like I'm breaking
13 > on the divining rods when I get errors from portage. I don't think
14 > anybody is really satisfied with them. The devs have been doing what
15 > they can to improve this but I think the issue is that portage often
16 > realizes that something is wrong, but it can't really tell what.
17 > Often this is the result of poor developer practices. Just as often
18 > adding --backtrack to the options fixes it.
21 I've trained my brain to recognize familiar output and mentally map what
22 occurred the last time to the present time :-)
23
24 I have also noticed that very often the bit that looks like an error is
25 actually just info (think --verbose) and the real cause is often
26 obscured inside a longer sentence.
27
28 Practice I guess.
31 Alan McKinnon