From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eject and util-linux blocker
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 20:16:18
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> Your basic problem is that you have static and static-libs in USE. When
5 >>> applied to lvm, a whole bunch of blockers kick in and you get what you
6 >>> got. So take them out of USE.
7 >>>
8 >>> USE="static static-libs" has it's uses, it's great for building rescue
9 >>> disks, busybox and maybe some disk repair utils, but makes very little
10 >>> sense on a regular workstation. If you break your workstation, you'll
11 >>> boot off a rescue disk and use the tools on it to fix your install, so
12 >>> you don't need it on the main system.
13 >>>
14 >>> There is nothing wrong with your eudev.
15 >>> lvm2 is bitching about blockers between lvm2 built with "USE=static" and
16 >>> udev - there's some incompatibility there and the ebuild knows about them
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >> I went through the package.use file and commented out the static and
20 >> static-libs stuff. It seems happy but thing is, when I put them there,
21 >> they were needed for some reason. Actually, all the parts I found had
22 >> the output of where emerge said those were needed. Maybe the reason
23 >> they were needed then has changed and they are no longer needed. I hope
24 >> anyway. ;-)
25 > I know there were some guides for doing LVM root that used to advise
26 > building stuff statically, probably because of some problem with
27 > genkernel.
28 >
29 > With a modern initramfs (dracut, and possible recent genkernel),
30 > shared libs work just as well, so there should be no need.
34 Well, in package.use, it has some output of emerge that said it needed.
35 Here is a snippet:
36
37 # required by sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.109[static]
38 # required by @selected
39 # required by @world (argument)
40 #=sys-apps/util-linux-2.24.1-r3 static-libs
41
42 # required by virtual/udev-208-r2
43 # required by @selected
44 # required by @world (argument)
45 #virtual/libudev static-libs
46
47 # required by virtual/udev-208-r2[gudev]
48 # required by @selected
49 # required by @world (argument)
50 #virtual/libgudev static-libs
51
52 There's a couple more but you get the idea. I don't use genkernel,
53 tried it but never got a working kernel from it so I do them by hand.
54 Everything built OK with no more complaining so I guess whatever it is
55 has changed. Still weird tho.
56
57 Dale
58