From: Etienne.Hilson@×××××××.be
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (Newbie)Emerge Problem
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:52:12
1 On Saturday 24 December 2005 15:19, Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:
2 > Hi
3 Hi
4
5 > I am having problems with emerge working during installation.
6 > I have Pentium4 with HT PC, and tried to install gentoo-2005 twice,
7 > eveything was fine ,hardware was easily detected, but network did not work
8 > well with proxies.
9 > I did
10 > $export http_proxy=http://spsingh:passwd@proxyserver:3128 but links2,
11 > emerge do not work.
12 > they give error 407 Authentication required, that is connects to proxy
13 > server but cannot authenticate me. However I can links2 to internal
14 > webpages which do not require proxy.
15
16 I had exactly the same problem and was not able to download the last stage
17 after booting with the livecd.
18 The solution I found (because I did not know the /etc/make.conf solution) was
19 to give the proxy data like this :
20
21 links2 -http-proxy "http://blah.com:3128" you_url
22
23 and when links2 launch, it open a dialog box (in text mode ;-)) to ask you for
24 the username and password.
25
26 That's the only way I found to download the stages, and now, I LOVE Gentoo ;-)
27
28 Best regards
29
30 Etienne