From: bill.longman@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] laptop desktop serial connection don't work on one direction
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:58:48
Pardon my top post please.

You'll have too ensure that you have only three wires. Line 2 to 3, line 3 to 2 and line 5 straight through. I don't think you'll be able to get bi directional serial links if you have the other hardware lines connected.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad On Nov 5, 2011 3:17 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3
5
6
7
8
> works with all connections, i.e ttyUSB0 <-> ttyUSB0, or ttyS0 <-> ttyUSB0
9
> and viseversa.
10
> So when connecting 2 desktop computers everything works as expected.

> The problem:
13
> When I connect my laptop to any of those desktops, I get just one way
14
> connection!
15
> If I swap the sides of the cable, the one way connection switch side.
16
> The laptop doesn't have ttyS0, so it have to be connected via ttyUSB0
17
> When I swap sides, it is just between two usb dongles.

> The usb dongles are PL2303 both sides.
20
> Settings of minicom is 38400 8n1 Hardware Flow Control=OFF

> Laptop setserial:
23
> setserial -a /dev/ttyUSB0
24
> /dev/ttyUSB0, Line 0, UART: 16654, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
25
> Baud_base: 460800, close_delay: 0, divisor: 0
26
> closing_wait: infinte
27
> Flags: spd_normal

> Desktop1 setserial:
30
> setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
31
> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
32
> Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
33
> closing_wait: 3000
34
> Flags: spd_normal skip_test

> setserial -a /dev/ttyUSB0
37
> /dev/ttyUSB0, Line 0, UART: 16654, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
38
> Baud_base: 460800, close_delay: 0, divisor: 0
39
> closing_wait: infinte
40
> Flags: spd_normal

> I tried to add the skip_test but this seems to be not working.
43
> I'm not sure what to do next.

> Any help will be appreciated,
46
> Thanks,
47
> Kfir
I think that you will need the pin mapping of a 'null modem' to be able to
50
have bidirectional connectivity.
Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
I think I still have an RS-232 to D9 null modem adaptor somewhere in my bins
57
of spares.
HTH.
60