From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to keep my system from (nearly) freezing?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:36:03
1 On Sunday 19 Feb 2017 13:53:49 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > sometime I have some memory hungry ebuilds in the background, when I
5 > start (e.g.) Chromium which needs very much memory if you have a lot of
6 > open tabs.
7 >
8 > In that case my system nearly freezes. I cannot even kill chrome.
9 > What can I do in that case. (Remote login doesn't work either)
10 >
11 > Can I have any additional program (like Chromium) die if there is not
12 > enough memory.
13 >
14 > Many thanks for a hint,
15 > Helmut
16
17 I assume you know setting --jobs= and --load-average= in emerge or in your
18 MAKEOPTS directive in /etc/portage/make.conf. You can also set
19 PORTAGE_NICENESS in make.conf, which will be added to the nice value portage
20 is running with. But these will not affect disk I/O bottlenecks. Consider
21 running emerge with ionice[1] to control disk bottlenecks.
22
23 [1] /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/ioprio.txt
26 Regards,
27 Mick