From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:43:19
1 On 02/09/2015 08:02 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Keep in mind that if you're grepping logs, there is probably a better
3 > way to accomplish what you want to do with journalctl's options.
4 > Finding all output from a particular daemon is going to be more
5 > reliable if you filter by unit, versus getting verbose log output from
6 > your mail server that has "mysql" somewhere in it or whatever. That
7 > is the main reason for using a binary log format.
8
9 Of course, of course. I should have expanded a little more, but I was on
10 my way to work out. I don't use systemd at work, but for my server I
11 generally find the most helpful command to check a particular service is
12 `systemctl status <service>` to see how it got screwed up. I imagine it
13 would be pretty useful to grab the JSON output from every host and put
14 it in elastic search or mongodb or something, but I don't have any
15 experience doing that. At the same time, though, the message would still
16 have to be parsed by something and a lot of the metadata looks to be not
17 extremely useful (atm anyways).
18
19 > If you're using an automated tool you can also use cursors to bookmark
20 > the last entry you read and then ask journalctl for entries since that
21 > one. Of course, an automated tool would probably just read the logs
22 > via dbus or whatever (I haven't taken the time to look into the APIs).
25 Using the low-level DBus C API makes me cry just a little bit; I've been
26 doing a ton of DBus stuff to add good systemd support to bossman. That
27 said, the API systemctl exposes over DBus is pretty common-sensical, so
28 I'm sure the journalctl one is straightforward as well.
29
30 Alec