From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Noisy dd operation
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 01:05:14
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:27:36 -0400
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> So, I'm using dd to write the Gentoo LiveDVD ISO directly to an SDHC
6 >> card. I was wondering why the transfer rate had slowed from 20MB/s to
7 >> 6MB/s, so I ran 'sudo tail -f /var/log/messages' to see if there were
8 >> I/O errors slowing things down.
9 >>
10 >> What I found was a flood-stream of message blocks that look like this:
11
12 [snip]
13
14 >> ... Any idea what kernel configuration flag I may have enabled to
15 >> cause these to be continually generated? My first guess would be
16 >> something like 'kernel lock debugging'...if that's what I'm seeing
17 >> here, where would I go to file a bug report against the usb-storage
18 >> subsystem?
21 > 6M is what you should expect from a good Class 6 SDHC card, and those
22 > are quite rare in consumer shops (few carry better than Class 4 in my
23 > experience).
24
25 Yeah, for a given class N, N MB/s is minimum certified transfer rate.
26 Though they probably don't take cover block reflashing in that...
27
28 > Writes start very fast (it's going into the kernel buffer)
29 > then gradually slow down to the card's actual speed, which is what you
30 > appear to be seeing.
31
32 That kernel buffer would have been a gigabyte or two in size, and I
33 don't remember noticing that while watching in htop.
36 > 20M write speed would be a Class 20, which doesn't exist yet :-)
37
38 Well, more to the point there's no certification level for it. Devices
39 can exceed their certification level.
40
41 > But what is your actual query? About the write speed?
42
43 No, not really. TBH, I wasn't expecting to be able to consistently
44 write quickly to the beginning of the card, but slowly at the end; I
45 wanted to make sure the card wasn't going bad given the abruptness of
46 the change. Actually, the more I think about it, I think it happened
47 at the 2GB boundary, where some funky pin logic changes. (And where SD
48 becomes SDHC). So I think that's where the performance shifted. Maybe
49 I'll invest in a bunch of fast 2G cards, if it means the performance
50 is consistent, and I'd still fit just under 200 shots.
53 > Or about the presence of the messages?
54
55 Yeah, it's the messages I was curious about.
58 :wq