From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Using an odd number of drives in ZFS RaidZ
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:00:40
1 On 29/06/2021 14:56, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hello fellows
3 >
4 > This is not really a Gentoo question, but at least my NAS (which this mail
5 > is about) is running Gentoo. :)
6 >
7 > There are some people amongst this esteemed group that know their stuff
8 > about storage and servers and things, so I thought I might try my luck here.
9 > I’ve already looked on the Webs, but my question is a wee bit specific and I
10 > wasn’t able to find the exact answer (yet). And I’m a bit hesitant to ask
11 > this newbie-ish question in a ZFS expert forum. ;-)
12 >
13 > Prologue:
14 > Due to how records are distributed across blocks in a parity-based ZFS vdev,
15 > it is recommended to use 2^n data disks. Technically, it is perfectly fine
16 > to deviate from it, but for performance reasons (mostly space efficiency) it
17 > is not the recommended way. That’s because the (default) maximum record size
18 > of 128 k itself is a power of 2 and thus can be distributed evenly on all
19 > drives. At least that’s my understanding. Is that correct?
20 >
21 > So here’s the question:
22 > If I had three data drives, (c|w)ould I get around that problem by setting a
23 > record size that is divisible by 3, like 96 k, or even 3 M?
27 > Here’s the background of my question:
28 > Said NAS is based on a Mini-ITX case which has only four drive slots (which
29 > is the most common configuration for a case of this formfactor). I started
30 > with two 6 TB drives, running in a mirror configuration. One year later
31 > space was running out and I filled the remaining slots. To maximise
32 > reliability, I went with RaidZ2.
33 >
34 > I reached 80 % usage (which is the recommended maximum for ZFS) and am
35 > now evaluating my options for the coming years.
36 > 1) Reduce use of space by re-encoding. My payload is mainly movies, among
37 > which are 3 TB of DVDs which can be shrunk by at least ⅔ by re-encoding.
38 > → this takes time and computing effort, but is a long-term goal anyway.
39 > 2) Replace all drives with bigger ones. There are three counter arguments:
40 > • 1000 € for four 10 TB drives (the biggest size available w/o helium)
41 > • they are only available with 7200 rpm (more power, noise and heat)
42 > • I am left with four perfectly fine 6 TB drives
43 > 3) Go for 4+2 RaidZ2. This requires a bigger case (with new PSU due to
44 > different form factor) and a SATA expansion card b/c the Mobo only has
45 > six connectors (I need at least one more for the system drive), costing
46 > 250 € plus drives.
47 > 4) Convert to RaidZ1. Gain space of one drive at the cost of resilience. I
48 > can live with the latter; the server only runs occasionally and not for
49 > very long at a time. *** This option brings me to my question above,
50 > because it is easy to achieve and costs no €€€.
51 >
52 5) Dunno if this is possible but ... replace one 6TB by a 12TB (any
53 reason you don't like Helium?) and raid-0 two of the remaining 6's
54 together. Dunno anything about what the raidZ's are but I presume this
55 would give you 12TB of mirrored storage. It would also only use 3 slots,
56 so you could use the 4th for eg your videos, and back them up on
57 external storage ie the drive you've just removed :-)
58
59 (The raid-0, I'd probably stripe rather than linear for performance.)
60
61 Cheers,
62 Wol