From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Missing keyword. Overlay question too, maybe.
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 16:08:48
1 On Sat, 2022-02-19 at 09:54 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm just going to point to the gentoo page for this but I'd like to know
5 > why something is in the tree if it is not available to anyone due to
6 > missing keywords.
7 >
8 > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-office/libreoffice
9
10 Probably just a way for the maintainers to test before releasing it to
11 users. Libreoffice is huge and requires a lot of cooperation from other
12 areas. An entry in package.mask is another (more common) way to add
13 something to the tree while still marking it as "not ready yet."
16 > Also, I noticed I have packages coming in from overlays or something I
17 > don't have installed/enabled here, if they are overlays.  This is one
18 > recent example.
19 >
20 > root@fireball / # equery list -po firefox
21 >  * Searching for firefox ...
22 > [-P-] [  ] www-client/firefox-91.6.0:esr
23 > [IP-] [  ] www-client/firefox-97.0.1:rapid
24 > root@fireball / #
27 Those are just slot names. Like EAPIs, slot names are typically
28 integers, but pretty much anything is technically legal.