From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is faster: amd64 or x86?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 14:54:58
1 On Tue, Aug 11, 2020, at 11:41 AM, Remco Rijnders wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 07:46:36PM -0400, Jack wrote in
3 > <46fdde47-4437-5aa4-926d-e42aaed8ed03@×××××××××××××××××.net>:
4 > >>On Mon, Aug 10, 2020, at 1:19 PM, Никита Степанов wrote:
5 > >>>What is faster: amd64 or x86?
6 > >
7 > >Nikita, what are you really asking about? Or, are you just looking to
8 > >stir the pot?
9 >
10 > I think the intended or underlying question was: Should I use the x86
11 > or amd64 boot media to install Gentoo on my system?
12 >
13 > And I think the appropiate answer almost always is amd64 if the system
14 > supports it. I can see exceptions on severely memory constrained
15 > systems or if you need to mainly run software that can only run in 32
16 > bit, but both seem rather uncommon to me.
19 The appropriate answer is always amd64. The last I looked at benchmarks
20 was quite a long time ago, but I think there is improvement to running
21 32 bit programs inside a 64 bit OS. The newer chips are more than just a
22 new instruction set. They contain a lot of machinery to make boring things,
23 like context switching, faster.