From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server-1.6.5-r1 'Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap'
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:05:18
1 2009/12/13 walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
2 > On 12/12/2009 04:20 PM, Mick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> ...
5 >> I tried the startx trick.  I recall that this would launch my WM
6 >> (fluxbox), but now all I get is an X session with twm!  Has something
7 >> changed with /etc/rc.conf?  Where should I specify fluxbox?
8 >
9 > That twm session is the default (see end of /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc)
10 > if you don't specify what you really want.  The xdm display manager
11 > checks in ~/.xsession for the stuff you want to run (i.e. fluxbox),
12 > but startx uses the file ~/.xinitrc for the same purpose.  You could
13 > probably just copy .xsession to .xinitrc for starters.
14
15 OK, but I never had set up ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc files. This is a
16 single user machine. As far as I can recall I had only set up in
17 /etc/rc.conf the parameter XSESSION="fluxbox", which looked in
18 /etc/X11/Sessions/ and ran the fluxbox configuration file that I had
19 in there.
20
21 Looking at /etc/conf.d/xdm I see this:
22 =========================================
23 # What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | kdm-4.3 | gpe
24 | entrance ]
25 # NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
26 =========================================
27 In that file I have specified DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm". Again as far as I
28 recall this is how I had set things up, so I am not sure what has
29 changed recently.
32 Setting a ~/.xinitrc file with 'exec startfluxbox' in it starts
33 fluxbox nicely if I run startx from the console - but this is not the
34 same session that I would get which would also include xconsole. I
35 found these messages now, but no significant errors:
36 =========================================
37 Setting CPU scaling governor "performance" for CPU 1...
38 could not open file
39 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor for writing!
40 failed setting 'performance' CPUfreq governor!
41 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement
42 Setting default value
43 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableMove
44 Setting default value
45 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableResize
46 Setting default value
47 Failed to read: session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay
48 Setting default value
49 Failed to read: session.screen0.tooltipDelay
50 Setting default value
51 Failed to read: session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap
52 Setting default value
53 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement
54 Setting default value
55 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableMove
56 Setting default value
57 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableResize
58 Setting default value
59 Failed to read: session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay
60 Setting default value
61 Failed to read: session.screen0.tooltipDelay
62 Setting default value
63 Failed to read: session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap
64 Setting default value
65 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxIgnoreIncrement
66 Setting default value
67 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableMove
68 Setting default value
69 Failed to read: session.screen0.maxDisableResize
70 Setting default value
71 Failed to read: session.screen0.noFocusWhileTypingDelay
72 Setting default value
73 Failed to read: session.screen0.tooltipDelay
74 Setting default value
75 Failed to read: session.screen0.clientMenu.usePixmap
76 Setting default value
77 Failed to read: session.screen0.slit.acceptKdeDockapps
78 Setting default value
80
81 So, what would be the way to start xdm and have xdm starting fluxbox?
82 --
83 Regards,
84 Mick