From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcpd always shows "crashed" even though it's running
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 01:24:46
1 On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > For some reason, whenever I check the status of my startup scripts, dhcpd
3 > registers as "crashed". However, dhcpd is up and running and working fine.
4 > Normally I don't worry about it, but on those occasions where dhcpd does
5 > stop working, it's hard to tell if it's "fixed" or not.
6 >
7 > What makes rc-status think something is crashed, and how can I fix this?
10 Not to sidetrack the discussion, but this is one of the areas where
11 systemd does shine, in a sense. If systemd thinks the service is
12 down, it is definitely down, because by default when systemd thinks a
13 service is down it kills anything it ever spawned (and it can
14 auto-restart if configured to do so). So, this forces to you
15 configure the unit correctly so that you don't have these kinds of
16 maybe-running-maybe-not situations.
17
18 It is a bit like having strong types and stricter build-time error
19 checking. It makes it a little harder to be lazier but saves you as
20 the user from the lazy developer.
21
22 As far as openrc goes, I suspect it is a pid file issue of some kind.
23 If a process goes and forks without putting the right pid in the file
24 then there is no way for openrc to detect this.
27 Rich