From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: About procmail and getline
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:11:59
1 On Monday 15 June 2009 18:50:58 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 15 Jun 2009, at 08:34, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > Much more work than it's worth. It's easier to reinstall.
5 > > ...
6 > > There was a recent thread on this, and the OP eventually decided to
7 > > write a
8 > > script that listed every package he had and copy this to
9 > > package.mask (with
10 > > ">" in front of course), then just wait for everything in stable to
11 > > catch up.
12 >
13 > I considered that to be an easy & straight-forward way to undertake
14 > the "downgrade".
15 >
16 > I'm not sure if every installed package was marked in this way or
17 > merely every package in world?
18
19 Mark everything. Otherwise you end up with with 150 packages in world at
20 stable, and the other 850 packages which are DEPs at unstable. And that's
21 where all hell breaks loose.
22
23 Whether a dep is installed arch or ~arch depends only on ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and
24 explicit directives in /etc/portage/*, and nothing to do with the package that
25 pulled it in (exception: a package that defines a version or range of versions
26 in it's DEPENDS)
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com