From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] www-client/chromium-63.0.3239.132
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 17:40:04
1 On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On my old i7 laptop it eats up all 4G of RAM and 4G of swap before it conks
4 > out. So, I dropped the jobs to 3 and --load-average to 2, added a swapfile to
5 > increase disk space and it now builds in around 13 hours.
6 >
7 > I have not used jumbo-build, but perhaps I should?
8
9 Well, you can certainly try, but since jumbo-build increases memory
10 use, I suspect you might not be able to get it to complete at all even
11 with -j1. If it did build there is a good chance it would complete
12 faster, even using fewer cores.
13
14 I'm not sure how exactly jumbo-build combines source files. Hopefully
15 it does it in a way that is consistent each time, so that ccache has
16 some chance of getting hits between builds. That would actually be an
17 advantage to compiling with many smaller units - you might get more
18 cache hits. That is, assuming there aren't header changes in new
19 releases that invalidate large number of cache entries.
22 Rich